Monday, November 14, 2016

"Parum Habere Cum Honore"

Today's reading from Brevissima was #90, to which the editor has appended the title "Parum Habere Cum Honore" - I like this one! It rather reflects my own philosophy, I think. It is an elegiac couplet from Anton Moker's (1540-1605) Decalogus Metricus:

Praestat habere parum, vero nec honore carere,
Quam sine honore bono multa tenere bona.

Roughly translated into English:

It is preferable to have little, and to not be lacking in true honor,
Than to have many goods without good honor.

     It is extremely difficult to do this one justice - my rough translation makes it sound horribly awkward, and the original Latin is not nearly so awkward, really. But though words are used in different senses, and might better be translated with different words, I wanted to make clear the repetition of the same vocabulary in the Latin in different senses (like moral "good" compared to possessions - "goods"). 

No comments:

Post a Comment