Friday, January 13, 2017

January 13th Reading from The Daily Stoic - Circle of Control

"We control out reasoned choice and all acts that depend on that moral will. What's not under our control are the body and any of its parts, our possessions, parents, siblings, children, or country - anything with which we might associate."

~ Epictetus, Discourses, 1.22.10

     In a way, it is a problem of human language. We associate with things and call them "ours" - MY body, MY goods, MY parents, MY brother, MY children, MY nation - "my" in this case meaning that we are associated with them, but we often treat the word "my" as denoting true ownership and control. But just because "my" body is mine, that does not mean I can prevent it from getting ill or aging. Just because people are "my" family, that does not mean I control their choices or actions. Just because it is "my" country, that certainly doesn't mean I am always proud of our collective actions and choices. All things are mine by association, not by control, excepting only my moral choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment