Thursday, November 2, 2017

November 2nd Reading from The Daily Stoic - Binding Our Wishes To What Will be


"But I haven't at any time been hindered in my will, nor forced against it. And how is this possible? I have bound up my choice to act with the will of God. God wills that I be sick, such is my will. He wills that I should choose something, so do I. He wills that I reach for something, or something be given to me - I wish for the same. What God doesn't will, I do not wish for."

~ Epictetus, Discourses, 4.1.89

Personal note: A lot of Stoics read this and think they have to be completely passive, fatalistic, accepting any fate that befalls without action. Taken out of context like this, it seems like that is what Epictetus is saying. But a more complete reading of Stoicism will lead the Stoic to the conclusion that one has a moral duty, an imperative, to take action in accordance with Virtue - to try to make the world a better place, whenever possible. The key is that when it is not possible - when you try to make the world better and fail - you accept the failure and move on to the next attempt. No wallowing in regret that matters do not stand differently. 


No comments:

Post a Comment