Thursday, August 22, 2019

August 22nd Reading from The Daily Stoic (Round 2) - Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

"It is essential for you to remember that the attention you give to any action should be in due proportion to its worth, for then you won't tire and give up, if you aren't busying yourself with lesser things beyond what should be allowed."
~ Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, 4.32b

Holiday and Hanselman reference the book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff . . . And It's All Small Stuff by Richard Carlson. I've never read it, but I have read Marcus Aurelius (many times), so I'm guessing that I'm doing all right.

This is usually one of my strengths, though not for the last month. I don't think my obsession with what I've lost was sweating "small stuff" - as Holiday and Hanselman note, it's about not wasting your most precious resource - time - and that is precisely what I feel is being wasted, and what I've lost. But . . . I can't be worried about that. Because we now have exactly 90 days after today to get done what must be done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment