Monday, April 11, 2016

D&D 30 Day Challenge, Day 7


Day 7: Favorite Edition

     So far, my favorite edition that I've played is 3.5, if we're sticking strictly to D&D. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed Basic D&D for what it was, and AD&D 1st edition. I played more AD&D 2nd edition than anything else, and have SO many happy memories of that, But D&D 3rd edition was great, and the 3.5 revision made it even better.

     I HATED 4th edition with a passion that would probably surprise you. It wasn't even D&D as I understand the term. I played it a couple of times, and gave up. Ugh. I thought it would make a better board game than RPG. Then, sure enough, I played the Castle Ravenloft board game  based on the 4th edition rules, and that was kind of fun - but that's all 4th edition was. A board game wishing it was an RPG.

     For the record, I have purchased 5th edition, but haven't tried it. It looks as good as 3.5 in its own way, though. I bet I would like it.

     Going beyond D&D to its near relatives, it is a toss-up for favorite between Pathfinder (which I like even more than 3.5) and Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG (which I think newer gamers would love for its style and simplicity - it has me for those, and for its nostalgia factor as well!).

No comments:

Post a Comment