Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Memorize "If" (Day 10 of 30 Days to a Better Man)

Memorize "If"

     OK, I admit it, I have never completed this task, no matter how many times I have done the "30 Days to a Better Man."
 
     The purpose of this "challenge" is to get modern men to memorize a poem. And the folks at The Art of Manliness chose a Rudyard Kipling poem that is a favorite over at AoM - "If." Makes sense. If you're going to challenge men to memorize a poem, a poem that you think epitomizes "manliness" would be the way to go.

     Now, unlike many men these days, I have memorized a few poems and long pieces of poems. In multiple languages. The other day I astonished my 8th grade Latin class by reciting the first 4 lines of Ovid's Metamorphoses (in Latin) from memory. "How did you DO that?!?" "I memorized it in college, and never forgot it."

     I'd like to use this as an excuse for my failure to complete this challenge. My head is already stuffed with poetry, mostly poetry I need for my professional life, as well as personally enjoy. So you can see why I haven't devoted the time and effort needed to really memorize a poem that - frankly - I don't care too much about.

     But I committed to the 30 day challenge. And it wouldn't be very "manly" at all to make excuses and refuse a challenge to which I committed on the excuse of "well, I don't like that one." So I guess I'm going to do it. Memorize "If." It's about 32 lines. There is a rhyme scheme, which ought to make it a bit easier. So. I have my work cut out for me . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment